Here Be Pizza Bandits...

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Zach
*Owns Revs with Posts*
*Owns Revs with Posts*

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:10 am

Nah I'm alright thanks for the concern, funny enough my hard drive died, Just bought a new one and got a new job so going to be building a custom pc soon enough, great to hear how everyone's doing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Luketh
Leaders
Leaders

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:02 pm

Feel free to ship me your old PC once the new one gets built -- I'm sure it'll function better than this dinosaur does. It blue-screened on me the first time I was typing this comment.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pizzabandits.forumotion.com
Masta Le
Mod of Greatness
Mod of Greatness

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:04 pm

Are you gonna get a laptop before you leave for college?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zach
*Owns Revs with Posts*
*Owns Revs with Posts*

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:04 am

My old pc actually is a laptop, and it runs FF14 on decent settings so it's not bad. I still want you guys to try that game haha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Josh
*Owns Revs with Posts*
*Owns Revs with Posts*

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:06 pm

Yo Luke, I'm planning on getting a PC. If for some reason you don't get one by the time I receive my new one, I could hit you up possibly with this one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Luketh
Leaders
Leaders

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:02 am

Yeah, Masta. That's pretty necessary for college.

Josh. Keep me up to date. That's an offer I might just hit you up on..

Back to top Go down
Zach
*Owns Revs with Posts*
*Owns Revs with Posts*

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:44 am

Tis a shame most college degrees are regarded as worthless nowadays, it's all about personal experience, of course this is 100% based on which field of study you are going into, obviously just because someone did surgery in an alleyway with a rusty chainsaw this does not put them above a medical degree. Just carefully pick and research your field of study is all I'm sayin' I wasted a lot of time and money working toward a pretty useless computer science degree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raurgbrom
General Poster
General Poster

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Out of curiosity Zach, what parts are you using for your computer build? It's something that I've considered but haven't put a lot of time into researching yet.

Also, my archery team is going to nationals!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zach
*Owns Revs with Posts*
*Owns Revs with Posts*

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:25 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Masta Le
Mod of Greatness
Mod of Greatness

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:04 pm

How hard is building a computer? I've always wanted to build my own but I didn't know if it was something that required some extensive computer knowledge. And isn't it cheaper than buying a prebuilt computer with equivalent parts?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zach
*Owns Revs with Posts*
*Owns Revs with Posts*

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:47 am

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883258057

That comes prebuilt with essentially the same build as mine same price with a keyboard mouse and headset, I've been told relentlessly that it is in fact cheaper to build it yourself, however this is either false or this is an extremely good deal. I'll probably end up buying this one.

As for actually building one there is tons of guides although I still recommend at least moderate computer knowledge, fuck up one of the gold pins on a part and you have a 200$ paper weight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Masta Le
Mod of Greatness
Mod of Greatness

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:47 am

Alright, I've suddenly taken up a huge interest in building a computer. So as I was pondering over this idea yesterday, I realized my dad still has his old laptop. It's probably about four years old. He just got a new one. I'm guessing a laptop is a lot harder to build? I won't really be starting from scratch, though. Since I don't really know a lot about computer, I'm thinking I'll just be upgrading a few parts such as the processor and graphics. I'll look up a few guides and do a lot of research first cause I don't want to damage it. Any advice, Zach? And what tools will I need?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zach
*Owns Revs with Posts*
*Owns Revs with Posts*

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:43 pm

Laptops are a lot harder yes, as well as you can't scrap your dads old laptop for parts, the graphics in laptops are almost always integrated and unchangeable you need an entirely new motherboard in general, MAYBE the case is reusable depending on the size, laptops are also much more expensive to deal with, you'll need ram that fits the new motherboard and now that I think about it an entirely new case anyways because some laptops cases are built around the ram on the mobo.

If you're super content with the heartache of laptop vs desktop you'll need varying sized screwdrivers and that's about it essentially, thermal paste usually comes with the processor and the screws with all the compatible parts.

My recommendation since you'll have to build from scratch anyways is to spring for a desktop that has more power anyways

TL;DR You can't use your dad's old laptop because the graphics are integrated and unchangable, if they aren't it wouldn't be compatible with newer graphics cards and processors anywho, I would just build a Desktop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Masta Le
Mod of Greatness
Mod of Greatness

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:23 pm

Oh okay well that sucks, I guess. Thanks Zach. Either way, my sister's thinking about getting a new laptop and I might get her current one which isn't too bad. I think it has i7 which'll be just what I'm looking for. In the meantime I'll still be able to use my dad's old one for various everyday use.

EDIT: My dad's an IT guy at Progressive and he says some of his friends have built some really expensive gaming computers. Since I'm off school tomorrow, I'm thinking about coming in with him and hopefully I'll chat with some of his friends and ask a few questions.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Luketh
Leaders
Leaders

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:55 pm

I helped my dad build this current computer back when I was in the 3rd grade. It didn't seem all that difficult at the time, although my dad fucked up on some important step so it took us a little while to figure everything out.

Back to top Go down
Raurgbrom
General Poster
General Poster

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:46 am

I have a friend who built his own computer a few years ago. He was seriously slowed down by inexperience and multiple parts that didn't work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zach
*Owns Revs with Posts*
*Owns Revs with Posts*

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:00 am

Building desktops aren't hard, it's being careful with all the parts mostly although some knowledge is still needed in general, your friends parts probably didn't work Raurg because he was too rough with them if he was inexperienced, that would be my guess anyways, I suppose shitty shipping could've been the culprit nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Masta Le
Mod of Greatness
Mod of Greatness

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:53 pm

If I wanted to upgrade some parts in my desktop, should I pay special attention to their sizes so I know they fit? Or do most parts have a standard size that'll usually fit?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zach
*Owns Revs with Posts*
*Owns Revs with Posts*

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:23 pm

Graphics cards and network cards fit into PCI slots, and those need to be paid attention to.

PCI Slots are determined by the age of the motherboard but for the most part are universal, the motherboard is the core of the computer and therefore the most important part. Also newer graphics cards are HUGE to put out tons of power, so you'd need to pay attention to your case size.

PCIE is currently the most up to date pci slot if I'm not mistaken.

Also PCI-2 MIGHT be good enough don't quote me on it though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Luketh
Leaders
Leaders

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:03 pm

Which AP exams are you guys taking? I've got four this year: US Government, Comparative Government, Psychology, and Macroeconomics.

Psych is on May 5! Shit's about to go down! After these exams, my 12th grade year is over!

Back to top Go down
Raurgbrom
General Poster
General Poster

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:23 pm

I have US History and English Language.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zach
*Owns Revs with Posts*
*Owns Revs with Posts*

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:06 am

I have nothing because I'm a graduate huehue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Masta Le
Mod of Greatness
Mod of Greatness

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Bio and APUSH. Haven't started studying for either Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Luketh
Leaders
Leaders

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:32 pm

I found APUSH to be quite an easy 5. Lang was even easier, those essays are a cakewalk. I didn't take bio, but a lot of people barely pulled 3s on it, so good luck Masta! I haven't started studying; I doubt I will start studying.. Smile

Back to top Go down
Raurgbrom
General Poster
General Poster

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:09 pm

Pfft studying. Based on the practice APUSH test we took in class though, I should probably look over more domestic stuff as that seemed to be the majority of the test.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Masta Le
Mod of Greatness
Mod of Greatness

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:39 pm

Thanks, Luke. We actually just took a unit test today and my teacher says if I keep doing as well as I am then I should get a 5 on bio pretty easy. We're taking a practice exam this weekend though. It's gonna count as a 200 point test grade.. Heh. Yay.

And I'm really bad at history. I mean REALLY bad. I can't memorize stuff like that. I'm a science and math guy. So.. We'll see how apush goes. Good luck to you guys on your exams.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Luketh
Leaders
Leaders

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:09 pm

Got a 5 on the mock-Comparative exam. My college math final is tomorrow, I took my mock-Psych/ Final exam on Tuesday..

School is almost over! Very Happy It's been a trip, that's for sure. I'm officially going to Appalachian State next year for college -- We ought to meet up some weekend this fall, Zach.

Back to top Go down
Kai Isakaru
General Poster
General Poster

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Thu May 01, 2014 3:09 am

Good luck all of you!
My final exam for my engineering class is tomorrow. After that I'm done with my first year of college.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zach
*Owns Revs with Posts*
*Owns Revs with Posts*

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Thu May 01, 2014 9:15 am

Luketh wrote:
Got a 5 on the mock-Comparative exam. My college math final is tomorrow, I took my mock-Psych/ Final exam on Tuesday..

School is almost over! :DIt's been a trip, that's for sure. I'm officially going to Appalachian State next year for college -- We ought to meet up some weekend this fall, Zach.

I KINDA moved back to New York but if I ever visit my grandparents then yeah definitely. We should pick a middle ground state and have a rl bandit meeting imagine the fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Josh
*Owns Revs with Posts*
*Owns Revs with Posts*

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   Thu May 01, 2014 6:12 pm

Just make sure to bring a lot of alcohol, that may get awkward quickly.

"Josh.. Is that YOU? Where in the world is your blue hair?!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?   

Back to top Go down

YO! A little quiet around here; how is school going?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next