The Pizza Bandits
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here Be Pizza Bandits...

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think?

Go down 
4 posters

Which Organizational System?
Topics' Last Post Date (most recent in first)--this is what we have right now
Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think? Vote_lcap25%Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think? Vote_rcap
 25% [ 1 ]
Topics' Creation Date (most recent in first)
Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think? Vote_lcap75%Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think? Vote_rcap
 75% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 4

AuthorMessage
Swallow777
Leaders
Leaders
Swallow777

Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think? Empty
PostSubject: Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think?   Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think? EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 12:23 pm

Currently, our forum is organized to where the topics are ordered from the date of the last post on them, with most recent first. While I could see how this might be useful for finding the most interesting topics, it can get a little messy.

I propose changing the ordering system to creation date, where the first post in a thread determines the order: a post created on a more recent date will be first. If you're afraid of missing any posts on old topics, you could just use the 'View Posts Since Last Visit' option on the upper right hand corner of the forum page.

Discuss.
Back to top Go down
Luketh
Leaders
Leaders
Luketh

PostSubject: Re: Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think?   Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think? EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 12:54 pm

I agree, that sounds like a good idea. This way topics will be more organized and whatnot.
Back to top Go down
https://pizzabandits.forumotion.com
Masta Le
Mod of Greatness
Mod of Greatness
Masta Le

PostSubject: Re: Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think?   Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think? EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 12:58 pm

I think it depends. I do agree that it would be more organized with the "organized by creation" idea, but wouldn't this disable us from bumping threads?

I'm okay with whatever way.
Back to top Go down
Swallow777
Leaders
Leaders
Swallow777

PostSubject: Re: Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think?   Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think? EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 1:03 pm

I think what Luke and Josh were trying to do with locking posts is preventing disorganization created when people DID bump threads... Bumping threads would still be possible if people used 'View Posts Since Last Visit.' That way, they could still see the new posts but the overall flow of the forum isn't disrupted.

Looking at the recent activity, though, the more active threads are the
newer ones, with the exceptions being those in the Pizza Bandit Pages--I don't think it would be too much of an issue of people missing out even if they didn't use that button.
I denoted the individual threads as 'Pizza Special' anyways,
which keeps them at the top.
Back to top Go down
Josh
*Owns Revs with Posts*
*Owns Revs with Posts*
Josh

PostSubject: Re: Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think?   Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think? EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 1:45 pm

I see.. hmm..
Back to top Go down
Swallow777
Leaders
Leaders
Swallow777

PostSubject: Re: Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think?   Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think? EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 10:32 am

I'm not seeing any dissent yet, so let's try this out.
Back to top Go down
Swallow777
Leaders
Leaders
Swallow777

PostSubject: Re: Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think?   Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think? EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 10:52 am

Okay, dissent is at 3 in favor, 1 against...

The upside is that the system can be different in each section. Different systems could be appropriate in each situation.

All the options are:
- Topic's Last Post Date (newest/oldest first)
- Topic's Creation Date (newest/oldest first)
- Topic's Title (alphabetical/reverse)
- Number of views (most/least first)
- Number of answers (most/least first)

I think that the Creation Date (newest first) is definitely a major improvement for 'Clan Videos and Pictures' and 'Clan News.' I also feel that it's great for 'Chat Area and Miscellania' and 'Pizza Bandit Pages' because now, when you look at all the threads that are created, they have a logical progression that relates how our clan has grown over time.
Back to top Go down
Masta Le
Mod of Greatness
Mod of Greatness
Masta Le

PostSubject: Re: Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think?   Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think? EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 10:55 am

I think the Topic's Title is great for organization and allows more ease in finding threads.
Back to top Go down
Swallow777
Leaders
Leaders
Swallow777

PostSubject: Re: Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think?   Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think? EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 11:00 am

I think that would be an option for some of our more static sections, like 'Guides' (and the subtopics under it) or 'Other Great Forums and Websites.' However, it would introduce considerable disorder in the ones where we post a lot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think?   Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think? Empty

Back to top Go down

Changing the Topic Order: What Do You Think?
Page 1 of 1